Forks in the road and options for Indivica users

Forks in the road and options for Indivica users

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
Lets face it forks happen
The arguments of which is better (Indivica or OSCAR) may not be material.
The differences are unlikely to be large (at first)
and you have what you have

Despite the rhetoric most end users are happy with what they have with either OSCAR 12.1.1 or Indivica and didn't know or didn't care how Indivica gets along with the community until this week when Indivica started publicly attacking OSCAR 12.1.1, OSCAR-EMR and OntarioMD.

For end users of Indivica who are happy with the service and don't care about the funding I would suggest they should stay with Indivica.  I have only heard good things about their service, the only issue has been the price.  Their fork of OSCAR 12 will serve you well for years to come and if you want a new version there will always be someone who will convert your schema to the current OSCAR.

For those that care about the funding, or about how Indivica treats the community, you are not locked in. Other OSP's play nice.

I would get a few quotes but I would consider waiting a while for the dust to settle.  If Indivica gets their way you will continue to get funding.  If OntarioMD funding dries up for everyone no one will get funding regardless.

Importantly if Indivica feels the cost of compliance is less than the cost of their position (that's real and treated departures from their customers) I would assume that they will revert to OSCAR like they did in 2012 and their customers will be in line to get OSCAR 14 and whatever else comes through the pipe from the community.

================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery, 1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

Re: [Oscarmcmaster-bc-users] Forks in the road and options for Indivica users

John Yap
Ontario users should learn from the BC experience.  PITO (BC’s version of Ontario MD) had heavily supported acquisition and maintenance costs (aka licensing fees) for PITO-approved EMR’s from approx 2009-2014.  As of Apr1/14 (how appropriate, eh), the funding ceased, and subsidized users had to pay full price. For some, the clinic costs doubled for the support/licensing.  Because of that, some clinics have switched to Oscar in BC.   OK, many have!  The relationship between PITO and Oscar, in BC, has changed considerably in the past year as they recognize how significantly the Oscar community has grown.  They have extended post-implementation funding to Oscar users, and are bending over backwards to help Oscar users get the most out of their EMR!  It may sound like a lot of money to Oscar users who got nothing over the past year (up to $3000 total, on a one-time basis), but it’s nothing compared to what PITO-EMR clinics are paying out for their licensing - perhaps 1-2 months fee.

So existing Oscar users and potential new users need to consider their choice of OSP and “product” wisely.  Those PITO-EMR users who decided to switch to Oscar in the past year had to PAY to get their data out!  And that’s over and above what they pay their OSP to convert that data into something Oscar could use!

As more EMR’s get swallowed by up by big corporations (OK, one big corp), Oscar continues to thrive as an affordable, responsible, highly-usable EMR.  And it can only continue to do so if the community maintains the Open Source spirit.

JohnY