Lessons from upgrading OSCAR's base distro

Lessons from upgrading OSCAR's base distro

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
As you know Ubuntu 14.04 runs out 2019
it will still work after March 2019 but OSCAR will become increasingly
vulnerable
Installation instructions for Ubuntu 16.04 are already up
Many developers are switching to Ubuntu 16.04

Does the in place upgrade work for OSCAR 15?
- in short yes but save your
var/lib/tomcat7/conf/server.xml
as your existing copy will be overwritten and you will need to revert

it should go without saying that
migrating from one distro to another is *risky*
you must save a backup off system before you begin
and allow for several hours (assuming it works for you)
longer if you crash and burn and have to install 16.04 from "scratch"
and then apply your backup

I use linux mint extensively so here are some notes for Mint 17.3 Rosa
-> 18 Sylvia
Cinnamon edition
(Mint 17.3 is 14.04 based and 18 is Ubuntu 16.04 based)

Note I had already switched to MariaDB prior to upgrading
https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/how-migrate-mysql-mariadb-linux-five-steps
offers a painless deb based approach that worked for me

Initial state:

OSCAR VERSION=15-78~724
Server version: Apache Tomcat/7.0.52 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   Apr 5 2017 06:27:12
Server number:  7.0.52.0
OS Name:        Linux Mint 17.3
Kernel Version:     3.19.0-32-generic
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.8.0_151-b12
JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.57-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 5.2

using upgrade instructions from
https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-linux-mint-17-to-linux-mint-18

post upgrade state

OSCAR VERSION=15-78~724
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat7
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat7
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat7/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /usr
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/share/tomcat7/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat7/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Server version: Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)
Server built:   Jun 27 2016 18:13:17 UTC
Server number:  7.0.68.0
OS Name:        Linux Mint
OS Version:     3.19.0-32-generic
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.8.0_161-b12
JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.0.33-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
using readline 5.2

mysql (MariaDB) seems to work fine
Catalina claims that the server does load oscar drugref selfbook
However unable to reach OSCAR
on review it appears that Tomcat upgrade has deleted server.xml previously used

phpmyadmin could not connect to MySQL during the upgrade
and gave an error but if you click ignore it worked fine on upgrade
with your pre-existing settings
================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have
to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery,
1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer,
pensez à l'environnement.

Re: Lessons from upgrading OSCAR's base distro

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
PS
In retrospect I installed mint to the servers and my workstations
because I liked and knew Ubuntu but needed a different UI when Ubuntu
introduced Unity.
If I was to rebuild a server from scratch (this was just a feasibility
study on in place upgrades on a backup server) I would not choose
mint.
I would probably pick the most stripped down Ubuntu (server edition)
or perhaps Debian to limit the number of services that are exposed.
================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have
to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery,
1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer,
pensez à l'environnement.

On 5 February 2018 at 15:55, Peter Hutten-Czapski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> using readline 5.2
>
> mysql (MariaDB) seems to work fine
> Catalina claims that the server does load oscar drugref selfbook
> However unable to reach OSCAR
> on review it appears that Tomcat upgrade has deleted server.xml previously used
>
> phpmyadmin could not connect to MySQL during the upgrade
> and gave an error but if you click ignore it worked fine on upgrade
> with your pre-existing settings
> ================
> Peter Hutten-Czapski
> Haileybury Ontario
>
> "The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have
> to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery,
> 1999)
>
> Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer,
> pensez à l'environnement.

Re: Lessons from upgrading OSCAR's base distro

Eugene Robertus
Thank you.  I am supportive of "server edition" approach.

--
Sent from: http://oscarmcmaster.16.x6.nabble.com/oscarmcmaster-devel-f3244825.html

Re: Lessons from upgrading OSCAR's base distro

Luiz Rufato
Just curious, prof Peter:

Both Ubuntu and Mint are based on Debian. Why not switch to Debian and
get back to roots? They are a lot more stabler and painless to upgrade.
Plus, the project could switch to MariaDB and OpenJDK, they are native
on ecosystem and far easier to install and maintain.

Im running OSCAR 15 on Debian Jessie for more than a year, on top of
openjdk and mariadb. My small setup has no issues so far.

Just my 2 cents.

Luiz.