Oscar certification for Manitoba - Comment/Suggestion Please...

Oscar certification for Manitoba - Comment/Suggestion Please...

muki
I am currently working with some doctors in Manitoba. They want to have oscar but there is no certify oscar available for them.
They can use non-certify oscar but the broblem is billing and lab that must be integrated.

Now, I am discussing with Manitoba eHealth on the certification issues.  They have closed the certification window but are still considering to allow me to move ahead if things work as plan.

With oscar12 that I have checked against their certification requirement, I believe oscar has covered more than 80% of their requirement.

I believe that more people will benefit if there is Manitoba version of oscar but the question is whether to move ahead with the work or not.

Also, there is a clause in their certification that states
Applicant to EMR Certification owns and/or has exclusive control of the intellectual property rights for the EMR being actively supported by the Applicant.”.

I already explained to them that this clause can not apply to oscar as it is an open source. We are only creating a package for Manitoba. We can only have total control/support of the version approved by Manitoba.  The actual oscar code will still remain on oscar emr site as open source.

Please I need your inputs.

Muki

Re: Oscar certification for Manitoba - Comment/Suggestion Please...

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
Hi Muki

Open source does not mean that there is no copyright to the code nor trademark to OSCAR. Both of those are reserved by McMaster as listed on the login page.
You are of course free to use OSCAR and modify it, but that is restricted by the open source license, it by no means gives you ownership nor exclusive control of the intellectual property rights.
I think the only entity that qualifies as owner would be OSCAR-EMR (under agreement with McMaster), and to my recollection it decided against the effort to go into Manitoba at the time.
That would have been with OSCAR 15.  You would have to check with them if they would consider partnering with you in a joint venture.

================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery, 1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

On 24 July 2017 at 14:06, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Earl Wertheimer
Muki,

Go to Oscar-EMR and tell them that you want to create an Oscar-EMR chapter in Manitoba.
They should be able to create a Manitoba branch of the code where you can make your changes to become compliant.

I would like to know their reply.

The alternative is to fork the code and develop your own version.