Re: DrugRef Q

Sweeney, Sean

Hey Peter,

Thanks for this info, we will take your advice and proceed in a different direction.

So, we attempted to update our deploy to the latest deb build, but to no avail. Unfortunately we don’t have an idea of when it was built as this was done a few years ago so we were having issues with getting the DB updated. Given that we are just going to do a tar and copy and call it a day.

With that your email mentions some customization that the build does that gets OSCAR into best practices form. Outside of simply tar’ing our webapps directory, sql dumping the DB, and the few notes I noticed about making sure the app is only accessed through SSL, are there any other config files I should make sure to take into consideration to ensure this matches our current deploy? (Apache config changes etc.)

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

Re: DrugRef Q

Marc Dumontier
What's the exception you got?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I just tried deploying the DrugRef project from source and after hitting the /Update url to run the download I ended up getting an exception. Upon review of the OSCAR JIRA I see one ticket for this project identifying some exceptions were coming up in the project, (my specific error wasn’t present in the logs posted).

Is there a healthy build available that could be used in the interim? Or a specific code snapshot / tag I could use for now? Or is it best to maybe wait to see if this can be cleared up?

Thanks!

Regards,

Sean Sweeney

Application Developer

Phone: <a href="tel:(613)%20549-1232" value="+16135491232" target="_blank">613-549-1232, ext. 1613

Toll-Free: <a href="tel:(800)%20267-7875" value="+18002677875" target="_blank">1-800-267-7875
Fax: <a href="tel:(613)%20549-7896" value="+16135497896" target="_blank">613-549-7896

[...]

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
The major configuration advantage of a Deb is that its a known build
number and known database configuration
Future updates then are known and easy deltas

The Deb updates the War and Database (from any OSCAR 15 build to another)
The Deb will also do some simple configuration work on your properties
file on initial install.
For updates it will add new keys and values to the properties file on
existing installs, but doesn't change any existing settings
On initial install it configures Tomcat to SSH to ensure that the
connection is secure and it places some restraints on the ciphers
supported
It allocates a hefty proportion of memory to OSCAR based on what is available.
It configures the document directory in a way to limit the risks of
arbitrary code execution
It adds a standard backup script that is quite versatile and (if
desired) can synch to offsite machines
It updates drugref data to more recent version and applies tallMAN and
other safety rules to the drugs
There are some standard eforms that it loads based on local
for Ontario that would include Ontario Prenatal Record 2017 eforms,
the Ontario standard OHIP lab requisition eform with decision support,
the latest Rich Text Letter eform and a few others
It gives the option of installing demo data for testing (that then can
be removed with the undemo.sql script included)
Most recently, based on suggestions, it can be run installs and
updates without user intervention when properly pre-configured

That's about it.

================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have
to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery,
1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer,
pensez à l'environnement.

On 20 October 2017 at 09:42, Marc Dumontier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's the exception you got?
>

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Good Afternoon,
>>

>> I just tried deploying the DrugRef project from source and after hitting
>> the /Update url to run the download I ended up getting an exception. Upon
>> review of the OSCAR JIRA I see one ticket for this project identifying some
>> exceptions were coming up in the project, (my specific error wasn’t present
>> in the logs posted).
>>

>> Is there a healthy build available that could be used in the interim? Or a
>> specific code snapshot / tag I could use for now? Or is it best to maybe
>> wait to see if this can be cleared up?
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Sean Sweeney
>>
>> Application Developer
>>

>> Phone: 613-549-1232, ext. 1613
>>
>> Toll-Free: 1-800-267-7875
>> Fax: 613-549-7896
>>
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> KFL&A Public Health
>>
>> 221 Portsmouth Avenue
>>
>> Kingston, Ontario  K7M 1V5
>>
>> www.kflaph.ca
>>

>> Connect with us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
>>

>> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information intended
>> only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader of
>> this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to
>> deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
>> review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
>> prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please notify us
>> by reply e-mail and delete the original message.
>>

>> Le présent message peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels réservés
>> à l’usage exclusif du destinataire ou de l’organisme y figurant. Par
>> conséquent, si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message ou la personne
>> devant le lui remettre, nous vous avisons qu’il est strictement interdit de
>> le passer en revue, de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le copier. Si
>> vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, nous vous remercions de nous en aviser
>> par retour de courriel et de détruire le message original.

> Marc Dumontier
> 519-584-5601
> http://www.hxb.ca
> http://www.oscarmcmaster.org

Re: DrugRef Q

Sweeney, Sean
Excellent, thanks for this info.

Right, unfortunately when we tried to use the most recent deb to update our deploy it presented some SQL errors, (this specific issue was a missing indicatorTemplate table), so at this point I think we will just try the direct copy between our boxes.

It sounds like out of the list of changes it applies the following would not be covered by a tar and sql dump:

- Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
- Document directory config

Where as I feel the following would, (let me know if you agree):
- Prop file updates - should be copied over
- Backup script - should be copied over
- drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to this point
- tallMAN - if this is sql changes I assume we are again covered by the sql dump? We just stick with what we have?
- eforms - copied over

Is there a specific file in the deb which lists out the exact changes applied? I guess I could do some diffs on the files you mentioned but if there was a explicit list documenting the necessary changes that would be fantastic.

> [...]

>> the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
>> agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
>> hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
>> copying of this communication is prohibited.  If this communication
>> was received in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and delete the original message.
>>

>> Le présent message peut contenir des renseignements confidentiels
>> réservés à l’usage exclusif du destinataire ou de l’organisme y
>> figurant. Par conséquent, si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce
>> message ou la personne devant le lui remettre, nous vous avisons
>> qu’il est strictement interdit de le passer en revue, de le diffuser,
>> de le distribuer ou de le copier. Si vous avez reçu ce message par
>> erreur, nous vous remercions de nous en aviser par retour de courriel et de détruire le message original.

Re: DrugRef Q

Colcamex Resources Inc.
The indicatorTemplate table is for the Dashboard.  This should not be missing from the deb.  Maybe the script is specific to region?  … or a table update script is missing?

Dennis Warren
Consultant
Colcamex Resources
[hidden email]
778.386.9264

On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

indicatorTemplate  IS in the deb
as a default it is not populated mind
================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have
to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery,
1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer,
pensez à l'environnement.

On 23 October 2017 at 14:56, Colcamex Resources Inc.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The indicatorTemplate table is for the Dashboard.  This should not be
> missing from the deb.  Maybe the script is specific to region?  … or a table
> update script is missing?
>

> Dennis Warren
> Consultant
> Colcamex Resources
> [hidden email]
> 778.386.9264
>
> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Excellent, thanks for this info.
>
> Right, unfortunately when we tried to use the most recent deb to update our
> deploy it presented some SQL errors, (this specific issue was a missing
> indicatorTemplate table), so at this point I think we will just try the
> direct copy between our boxes.
>
> It sounds like out of the list of changes it applies the following would not
> be covered by a tar and sql dump:
>
> - Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
> - Document directory config
>
> Where as I feel the following would, (let me know if you agree):
> - Prop file updates - should be copied over
> - Backup script - should be copied over
> - drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to this
> point
> - tallMAN - if this is sql changes I assume we are again covered by the sql
> dump? We just stick with what we have?
> - eforms - copied over
>
> Is there a specific file in the deb which lists out the exact changes
> applied? I guess I could do some diffs on the files you mentioned but if
> there was a explicit list documenting the necessary changes that would be
> fantastic.

Re: DrugRef Q

Sweeney, Sean
Yes, this error was identifying that our deploy was missing that table.

Peter, any thoughts on the further Q's I posed?

Thanks for all the info!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The indicatorTemplate table is for the Dashboard.  This should not be
> missing from the deb.  Maybe the script is specific to region?  … or a
> table update script is missing?
>

> Dennis Warren
> Consultant
> Colcamex Resources
> [hidden email]
> 778.386.9264
>
> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Excellent, thanks for this info.
>
> Right, unfortunately when we tried to use the most recent deb to
> update our deploy it presented some SQL errors, (this specific issue
> was a missing indicatorTemplate table), so at this point I think we
> will just try the direct copy between our boxes.
>
> It sounds like out of the list of changes it applies the following
> would not be covered by a tar and sql dump:
>
> - Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
> - Document directory config
>
> Where as I feel the following would, (let me know if you agree):
> - Prop file updates - should be copied over
> - Backup script - should be copied over
> - drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to
> this point
> - tallMAN - if this is sql changes I assume we are again covered by
> the sql dump? We just stick with what we have?
> - eforms - copied over
>
> Is there a specific file in the deb which lists out the exact changes
> applied? I guess I could do some diffs on the files you mentioned but
> if there was a explicit list documenting the necessary changes that
> would be fantastic.

Re: DrugRef Q

Peter Hutten-Czapski
Hi Sean
It's not clear what your current state is and what your desired end result is.  You still need to get your end desired war file to match your end desired database schema.  Some of it is schema differences and mysqldiff or similar tools will help fairly easily.

Some is unfortunately data (especially look at the priveldges and security objects as missing entries in the related tables will prevent access)  Unless you have customised them (eg adding roles architypes etc) then simply use the new data from the DEB.

As far as the other q's

- Prop file updates - should be copied over
yup although Property key values usually have sensible defaults so its not essential unless you have something that you want non standard

- Backup script - should be copied over
yup, its quite good with lots of options depending on how you set it up

- drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to this point
yup

- tallMAN less important, have a look at the SQL to see what it does.  If you are nitpicky you will want to run this on your drugref schema

- eforms - copied over yup

================

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The indicatorTemplate table is for the Dashboard.  This should not be
> missing from the deb.  Maybe the script is specific to region?  … or a
> table update script is missing?
>

> Dennis Warren
> Consultant
> Colcamex Resources
> [hidden email]
>
> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Excellent, thanks for this info.
>
> Right, unfortunately when we tried to use the most recent deb to
> update our deploy it presented some SQL errors, (this specific issue
> was a missing indicatorTemplate table), so at this point I think we
> will just try the direct copy between our boxes.
>
> It sounds like out of the list of changes it applies the following
> would not be covered by a tar and sql dump:
>
> - Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
> - Document directory config
>
> Where as I feel the following would, (let me know if you agree):
> - Prop file updates - should be copied over
> - Backup script - should be copied over
> - drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to
> this point
> - tallMAN - if this is sql changes I assume we are again covered by
> the sql dump? We just stick with what we have?
> - eforms - copied over
>
> Is there a specific file in the deb which lists out the exact changes
> applied? I guess I could do some diffs on the files you mentioned but
> if there was a explicit list documenting the necessary changes that
> would be fantastic.

Re: DrugRef Q

Sweeney, Sean

Good Morning,

Got you, no problem. So currently the task we are working through is migrating our current install to a new box.

With that task we thought it would be a good opportunity to attempt to switch to a build from source method of deployment. Unfortunately that didn’t work out. We then attempted using the Deb to update our deploy to the latest version but we experienced the issues I listed previously.

So at this point I’m just going to tar the appropriate webapps components and sql dump the DB and shuffle it all over. So the end goal will be that we are running on the exact same setup we had previously, but on a new box.

This line of questioning is addressing the notes you made about some tweaks the Deb does to the install to ensure OSCAR is running in a best practices mode. With the few items you noted I wanted to know if they were either a) covered by the act of tarring the webapps and dumping the sql, (as these items were executed on the webapps and DB during install and therefore those components have the state which the best practices define), or b) described somewhere explicitly in the Deb so that I could manually reproduce them after the move.

From answering the other q’s I get the feeling then that we are covered. So with regards to the following two points are those explained somewhere in the Deb as to what gets set?

- Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)

- Document directory config

Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The indicatorTemplate table is for the Dashboard.  This should not be
> missing from the deb.  Maybe the script is specific to region?  … or a
> table update script is missing?
>

> Dennis Warren
> Consultant
> Colcamex Resources
> [hidden email]
>
> On Oct 23, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Excellent, thanks for this info.
>
> Right, unfortunately when we tried to use the most recent deb to
> update our deploy it presented some SQL errors, (this specific issue
> was a missing indicatorTemplate table), so at this point I think we
> will just try the direct copy between our boxes.
>
> It sounds like out of the list of changes it applies the following
> would not be covered by a tar and sql dump:
>
> - Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
> - Document directory config
>
> Where as I feel the following would, (let me know if you agree):
> - Prop file updates - should be copied over
> - Backup script - should be copied over
> - drugref - sql dump will cover what we have been running with up to
> this point
> - tallMAN - if this is sql changes I assume we are again covered by
> the sql dump? We just stick with what we have?
> - eforms - copied over
>
> Is there a specific file in the deb which lists out the exact changes
> applied? I guess I could do some diffs on the files you mentioned but
> if there was a explicit list documenting the necessary changes that
> would be fantastic.

Re: DrugRef Q

Peter Hutten-Czapski
... of course you can run the DEB on your new box (for Tomcat config
and Document directory best practices) and then just downgrade to your
existing war, schema, and documents

Property file settings that are not in the war will not cause issues
Some of the new eforms do depend on OSCAR 15 functionality (Rourke
particularly) and you will have to use the old one
================

On 25 October 2017 at 08:51, Sweeney, Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>

> Got you, no problem. So currently the task we are working through is
> migrating our current install to a new box.
>

> With that task we thought it would be a good opportunity to attempt to
> switch to a build from source method of deployment. Unfortunately that
> didn’t work out. We then attempted using the Deb to update our deploy to the
> latest version but we experienced the issues I listed previously.
>

> So at this point I’m just going to tar the appropriate webapps components
> and sql dump the DB and shuffle it all over. So the end goal will be that we
> are running on the exact same setup we had previously, but on a new box.
>

> This line of questioning is addressing the notes you made about some tweaks
> the Deb does to the install to ensure OSCAR is running in a best practices
> mode. With the few items you noted I wanted to know if they were either a)
> covered by the act of tarring the webapps and dumping the sql, (as these
> items were executed on the webapps and DB during install and therefore those
> components have the state which the best practices define), or b) described
> somewhere explicitly in the Deb so that I could manually reproduce them
> after the move.
>

> From answering the other q’s I get the feeling then that we are covered. So
> with regards to the following two points are those explained somewhere in
> the Deb as to what gets set?
>
> - Tomcat (SSH, ciphers, memory)
>
> - Document directory config
>
> Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

Re: DrugRef Q

Peter Hutten-Czapski
by downgrade
I mean manual overwriting with