Re: Install Dep Package Via Command Line Only

Re: Install Dep Package Via Command Line Only

Jake Swart
I have a change request to make. I was able to successfully automate the installation with minimal changes to the DEBIAN install files by using debconf-set-selections.

However, looking at the repo's oscar/release directory, the control files appear very out of date compared to the released build oscar_emr15-70~690.deb. It appears they have not been updated since release version 14. Can these be updated before I create a change request?

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Peter Hutten-Czapski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome Jake

The OSCAR DEB is designed for interactive deployment using the standard conventions at the console.  The DEB tries to probe for as many values as possible but still needs to know what the mysql password is and if demo data is desired.  There are no options currently supported other than the Debian package standards.

As you note unattended installation can occur for upgrades.

Your use case is too small for me to do it for you, but you are welcome to suggest code that if interesting I can incorporate into a future release when I refactor

================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery, 1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

On 5 October 2017 at 14:10, Jake Swart <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm looking at the deb package install scripts (I'm install on Ubuntu 16 LTS) and I am wondering if it's possible to pass the following options to `dpkg -i oscar.deb [options]`:

- headless mode (no fancy maria db screens)
- mysql password as a parameter
- "seed demo data"

From what I can tell there's no way to do this. The script needs to ask for the password from the user using deb_get and I don't see a way to "trick" it by creating a file that the install scripts might read from and pull the password from there. It looks like I can do that for an upgrade, but not a fresh install.

Do you have some sort of install mode where this is possible that the developers use instead?

Jake Swart
Software Developer | Cliniconex | Phone: <a href="tel:(613)%20271-5462" value="+16132715462" target="_blank">613-271-5462 ext. 3838 | Cell: <a href="tel:(613)%20262-9883" value="+16132629883" target="_blank">613-262-9883

Jake Swart
Software Developer | Cliniconex | Phone: 613-271-5462 ext. 3838 | Cell: 613-262-9883

Re: Install Dep Package Via Command Line Only

Peter Hutten-Czapski
I'm glad that debconf-set-selections worked for you.

Yup the repo's copy of the Deb control files are ancient, albeit not
from 2014.  I just don't have time to update source every-time I
update the scripts.  Be that said its a DEB, after all, if you are in
a hurry to read the source you can simply untar it and read the latest
script as it exists.
================

On 15 October 2017 at 16:45, Jake Swart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a change request to make. I was able to successfully automate the
> installation with minimal changes to the DEBIAN install files by using
> debconf-set-selections.
>
> However, looking at the repo's oscar/release directory, the control files
> appear very out of date compared to the released build
> oscar_emr15-70~690.deb. It appears they have not been updated since release
> version 14. Can these be updated before I create a change request?
>

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Peter Hutten-Czapski
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome Jake
>>
>> The OSCAR DEB is designed for interactive deployment using the standard
>> conventions at the console.  The DEB tries to probe for as many values as
>> possible but still needs to know what the mysql password is and if demo data
>> is desired.  There are no options currently supported other than the Debian
>> package standards.
>>
>> As you note unattended installation can occur for upgrades.
>>
>> Your use case is too small for me to do it for you, but you are welcome to
>> suggest code that if interesting I can incorporate into a future release
>> when I refactor
>>
>> ================
>> Peter Hutten-Czapski
>> Haileybury Ontario
>>
>> "The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have to
>> come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery, 1999)
>>
>> Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer, pensez à
>> l'environnement.
>>
>> On 5 October 2017 at 14:10, Jake Swart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the deb package install scripts (I'm install on Ubuntu 16
>>> LTS) and I am wondering if it's possible to pass the following options to
>>> `dpkg -i oscar.deb [options]`:
>>>
>>> - headless mode (no fancy maria db screens)
>>> - mysql password as a parameter
>>> - "seed demo data"
>>>
>>> From what I can tell there's no way to do this. The script needs to ask
>>> for the password from the user using deb_get and I don't see a way to
>>> "trick" it by creating a file that the install scripts might read from and
>>> pull the password from there. It looks like I can do that for an upgrade,
>>> but not a fresh install.
>>>
>>> Do you have some sort of install mode where this is possible that the
>>> developers use instead?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Jake Swart
>>> Software Developer | Cliniconex | Phone: 613-271-5462 ext. 3838 | Cell:
>>> 613-262-9883

> Jake Swart
> Software Developer | Cliniconex | Phone: 613-271-5462 ext. 3838 | Cell:
> 613-262-9883

Re: Install Dep Package Via Command Line Only

Jake Swart
Thanks for confirming.

To give you some more context, I didn't use file from the repo, but tore apart the deb package, changed the config file and rebuilt the package.

I am currently trying to create a patch for the oscar repo. However, for git history purposes, I figured it would be better if you updated the repo with the latest install files the way you wanted them, then I can create a change request.