The Reference Stack (more)

Peter Hutten-Czapski-2
More background why the reference stack is
Ubuntu 14.04(.05)
MySQL 5.5
Oracle Java 8
Tomcat 7
Firefox ESR 52 (or current security supported version)

There is clear intent among OSCAR developers not to depend on any proprietary Java or MySQL libraries or methods nor browsers for that matter (although due to its market share we have dropped any interest we may have ever had in IE for interest in Chrome).  That is we want to support as many options forward as possible, but this is the particular stack we focus on.

14.04.05 LTS is supported to 2019
Its version of MySQL plays nice with OSCAR 15
and Oracle Java, via webupto8team, has updates
that can be configured to be applied as they become available
Its a secure, currently patched, and known stack

so there is no reason why to migrate from that .. until 2019  AFAIK
(and as far as 14.04 being out of date it is 11 years newer than that XP machine...).
Use standard server security settings (reduce attack surface, close ports etc) and the security updates will keep plugging the holes.

Personally I have tested MariaDB and OpenJDK and they work fine with OSCAR 15.  However OSCAR EMR lacks a compelling business case to change our default stack.  Change for change's sake is a bad idea for business critical software.

16.04 has a version of MySQL (5.7) that is broken for OSCAR out of the box..  There are probably work arounds, but the cleanest one is using MariaDB.  If I am still around when the discussion comes around to it (probably with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) , this will be what I consider a sufficient business case for moving to MariaDB.

If Larry changes MySQL so that bailing to another DB other than his proprietary ORACLE software (eg Percona or MariaDB) becomes difficult that too might be a business case to go to a more open open source product.

So go off the stack if you want to.  I confess that many of us do at least to test it out.  Report back if its broken (or if it works as well).  However if the bug can't be reproduced in the reference environment (so far they all seem to) its not our problem.  We don't have resources to test all combinations possible.  If you really go into the deep end, *and have major issues* you will be paying an OSP to migrate you back to conventional.

================
Peter Hutten-Czapski
Haileybury Ontario

"The attitude that ‘if rural people want these services they’ll have to come to the city to get them’ is simply not acceptable…” (Newbery, 1999)

Before printing, think about the environment. Avant d' imprimer, pensez à l'environnement.

On 23 June 2017 at 11:53, Luis Strauch <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Darwin,

I agree with you, I usually stay with standards in which the application was developed for.  However, Ubuntu 14.04 is no longer a supported OS and recent security issues have hit a number of Linux servers and wanted to bring our server to current supported OS Ubuntu 16.04.

I'm not sure what infrastructure should be since the announcement of Oscar EMR standard platform will continue to be Java Oracle and MySQL, but it doesn't address issues with Tomcat version and if we can use Ubuntu 16.04.

Thank you,
Luis Strauch

Re: The Reference Stack (more)

Luis Strauch
Hi Peter,

Just so you know, I only want to have our system up to date for both Oscar EMR and supporting applications.  After updating the Ubuntu 14.04 kernel so to extend the support to 2019, I still had messages telling me to upgrade to 16.04 for continued support as 14.04 is no longer supported.  I only upgraded after following the various messages on the options to run 16.04 and no one mentioned the issues by doing so like you listed in your recent emails.

I will go back and install Ubuntu 14.04(.05) and all the other applications listed below.

I know it's not easy with everyone using Oscar EMR having their own point of view how it should be configured, but in my 8 years of supporting Oscar your voice is the most knowledgeable and understanding so I just want to say thank you for all the hard work and time you spend helping all of us.

Thanks,
Luis Strauch